Why should you choose this card?
If you’re still not sure whether this card is right for you, take a closer look at some of its other redeeming features.
Complimentary Insurance Cover
Like many other platinum credit cards, the American Express Airpoints Platinum Credit Card offers extra perks in the form of complimentary insurance covers. These can offer a significant saving on paying for insurance elsewhere.
With Smartphone Screen Insurance, you could claim up to $500 for front screen repairs to your smartphone, when you use your American Express Airpoints Platinum Card to pay for your smartphone outright, or your monthly smartphone contract or SIM Only Plan.
With Domestic and International Travel Insurance, you and your family could benefit from:
- Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover (including Repatriation) up to $2,500,000,
- Travel Cancellation Cover up to $30,000,
- Baggage, Money and Documents Cover up to $30,000,
- Personal Liability Cover up to $2,000,000,
- Travel Inconvenience Cover offering cover for flight delays, missed connections or delayed luggage.
With Purchase Protection, you are covered for eligible items purchased using your card that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. With the Online Fraud Protection Guarantee, you are covered against any fraudulent transactions made using your card.
As an American Express Airpoints Platinum Credit Card holder, you will also be eligible for a range of exciting travel benefits, such as discount membership for Airpoints’ Koru Programme. Not only will you save $255 on your Koru joining fee, you’ll also save $145 per year on the annual fee when you become an Air New Zealand Koru member. That’s a total saving of $400 in the first year!
What does Koru have to offer? As a Koru member, you can enjoy access to Air New Zealand Lounges and partner lounges, with the option to bring a guest along with you. You can also benefit from priority check-in and boarding, complimentary frequent flyer seating, baggage privileges and access to Fast Bag on domestic flights.
Whether or not you choose to become a Koru member, as an American Express Airpoints Platinum Credit Card holder, you will enjoy two complimentary passes per year to the Emperor Lounge at Auckland International Airport, and two complimentary passes per year to The American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport.
One thing we know about rewards cards is that they should provide the rewards you need, for the spending you do most. Which is why it makes sense to do some homework before you apply.
With this card, you can earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points on every Air New Zealand flight, as well as on many partner airline and Star Alliance flights. You can also earn points on accommodation and car rental.
The Airpoints Dollars you earn could be redeemed for Air New Zealand flights, or flights to hundreds of destinations with Air New Zealand’s partner airlines. You could also redeem your Airpoints Dollars for car hire with Avis or Budget, to upgrade your flight, or to purchase Koru membership.
As an American Express customer, you can expect excellent customer service, no matter where you are in the world. You can benefit from Global Card support, as well as mobile phone, laptop or desktop access to your account, with a range of handy organisational tools available online as well.
As the fastest Airpoints Dollar-earning platinum credit card, this rewards card provides a great way to earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points, while also offering 300 bonus Airpoints Dollars, a host of complimentary insurances, and perks such as Lounge access and discount Koru membership.
- Complimentary Domestic and International Travel Insurance for you and your family
- Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover (including Repatriation) up to $2,500,000
- Travel Cancellation Cover up to $30,000
- Baggage, Money and Documents Cover up to $30,000
- Personal Liability Cover up to $2,000,000
- Travel Inconvenience Cover will cover you for flight delays, missed connections or delayed luggage
- Reasonable annual fee of $195 p.a. considering all the benefits
- Smartphone Screen Insurance for up to $500
- High interest rate of 19.95% p.a. for purchases. Therefore like all rewards cards, is best for people that pay off their balance in full each statement period