Why should you choose this card?
We’ve talked about some of the things we love about this card, as well as some of the things to watch out for. If you’re still undecided as to whether the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card is right for you, here is the rest of the need-to-know on the card.
As this is a rewards card, it makes sense to look more closely at the rewards programme. Here’s the points-earning breakdown:
- Earn 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent at major supermarkets
- Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent at major petrol stations
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Major supermarkets include Countdown, Countdown Online, Farro Fresh, FreshChoice, New World, Nosh, PAK'nSAVE and SuperValue, while major petrol retailers include BP, Caltex, GAS (Gasoline Alley Services), Gull, Mobil, Shell and Z. To eligible for those additional points at these retailers, the transactions have to be made in New Zealand.
If you want to earn points even faster, you can get your family in on the action. Simply apply for a supplementary card for family members at no additional cost, and watch those points start stacking up.
When it comes to redeeming the points you earn, there are a few options open to you. You could choose to redeem your points on the Membership Rewards programme for gift cards, entertainment or retail goods, or you could turn your Membership Rewards points into credit on your American Express card.
Love travel? You could transfer points to Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars or to any of American Express’s five other airline partner rewards programmes. Alternatively, you could visit any Harvey World Travel store, or redeem points for any flight on webjet.co.nz.
As it’s a platinum card, you’d expect the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card to offer a few platinum perks. Luckily, this card doesn’t disappoint. As a cardholder, you can enjoy one complimentary direct domestic return flight every year, which includes one piece of 23kg baggage. You can book from as little as two weeks before you fly, up to 10 months in advance.
As for complimentary insurance cover, this card offers plenty of value. You can benefit from complimentary Domestic and International Travel Insurance Cover when you pay for travel on your card. This provides:
- Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses and Repatriation Cover up to $2,500,000,
- Travel Cancellation Cover up to $10,000,
- Baggage Cover up to $10,000,
- Personal Liability Cover up to $1,000,000,
- Travel Inconvenience Cover offering cover for flight delay, missed connections and luggage delay.
Having been awarded a 5-Star CANSTAR rating for Outstanding Value in the 2017 Credit Card Ratings (in the Flight Rewards $12,000 Annual Spend and $24,000 Annual Spend categories), this card seems to be a winner.
But it’s not just about features and rewards with this card, it also goes above and beyond on service. As a cardholder, you'll receive Platinum Priority Service from the American Express dedicated team, on hand to help with whatever you need, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can use your card around the world, at tens of thousands of locations, and you can access your account via smartphone, tablet or computer, no matter where you happen to be. You’ll also have access to handy online organisational tools, with peace of mind from the card’s Online Fraud Protection Guarantee.
A truly rewarding rewards card, value-packed with platinum perks and features, plus 20,000 Membership Rewards bonus points and 2.99% p.a. on purchases for six months.
- Earn 3 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at major supermarkets
- Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at major petrol stations
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Transfer points to Air New Zealand Airpoints DollarsTM or to any of our five other airline partner rewards programmes. Simply visit any Harvey World Travel store or redeem points for any flight at webjet.co.nz
- Membership Rewards travel team can help you book on points or you could browse and book online in your own time
- Earn points faster by getting a Supplementary Card for family members at no additional cost
- Domestic and International Travel Insurance Cover
- Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses and Repatriation Cover up to $2,500,000
- Travel Cancellation Cover up to $10,000
- Baggage Cover up to $10,000
- Personal Liability Cover up to $1,000,000
- With Travel Inconvenience Cover you may be covered for flight delay, missed connections and luggage delay
- High interest rate of 19.95% p.a. for purchases.