The American Express Platinum Card
If you’re looking for a card with serious features, the American Express Platinum Card could well be the card for you. Acting as a charge card with no pre-set spending limit and no interest charges, this beautiful piece of plastic offers more perks than we could possibly mention in an intro. But, it does come with a significant price tag. Is it worth it? Let’s find out.
What we love...
In this section, we usually cover the card’s introductory offers and standout features. However, as this card has quite a few standout features, we’ll discuss them later and focus now on the intro offer and the card’s rewards programme.
As this is a big feature card, you’d expect a big feature intro offer. Happily, the American Express Platinum Card doesn’t disappoint. You will be credited with 80,000 Membership Rewards bonus points when you apply, are approved and spend $1,500 on your card in the first three months.
What does that 80,000 points get you? Well, if you happen to be renovating your house, those points could be redeemed for a $500 Bunnings gift card, or if you fancy getting away from it all, you could trade your points in for a $500 Flight Centre gift card, or $600 to spend online at webjet.co.nz.
Alternatively, you could opt to transfer your points to a choice of seven airline rewards or three hotel programmes. For example:
- An Air New Zealand point transfer would offer 175 Membership Rewards points for 1 Airpoints Dollar,
- A Cathay Pacific point transfer would offer 2 Membership Rewards points for 1 Asia Mile,
- An Emirates point transfer would offer 2 Membership Rewards points for 1 Skywards Mile.
As for points-earning potential, this card allows cardholders to earn 2 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on the card. Points can be accrued faster with a supplementary card for family members at no additional cost, and there is no point limit or point expiry as long as the account remains current and in good standing.
What’s not so great...
When it comes to prestige cards like the American Express Platinum Card, there are certain factors you come to expect, such as a high annual fee. With a top dollar rewards programme and an almost endless selection of exceptional features, this card simply has to have a price tag to cover all it has to offer.
The annual fee for this card is $1250, plus it has a minimum annual income requirement of $100,000. Not for the faint of heart, or the tight of wallet. However, if you are looking for a card that provides all this card has to offer, then you no doubt expect to pay for it. As long as you get more back from the card than you are paying in, then surely you’re on to a winner.
Why should you choose this card?
As promised, we’ll now get into all those amazing features we’ve thus far been tantalising you with!
Charge Card Useability
The American Express Platinum Card is not a credit card, so it does not offer a credit limit and it does not allow you to have an ongoing balance. Instead, this card acts as a charge card, with no pre-set spending limit and no interest charges. All you need to do is pay off your balance in full each month and you can enjoy all the pleasures this card has to offer.
If you enjoy travelling, this card will be your best friend. Here are some of the travel benefits it has to offer.
- Receive $200 Platinum Travel Credit each year: This can be redeemed online or over the phone through your Platinum Travel Service, for airfares, car hire or hotel bookings.
- VIP Lounge Access with Priority Pass: You will receive complimentary access for you and one nominated supplementary cardholder to 900 VIP Lounges worldwide. You and your supplementary cardholder can each bring a guest into Priority Pass lounges at no extra cost.
- Accor Plus programme membership: Your complimentary Accor Plus programme membership entitles you to a complimentary night’s stay each year, with the choice of more than 900 Accor properties in Australia and Asia-Pacific.
- Hotel programme complimentary enrollment: As a cardholder, you will benefit from complimentary enrollment in an elite tier of hotel partner programmes, including Club Carlson, Starwood Preferred Guest, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership and Hilton Honors Gold status.
- FINE HOTEL & RESORTS programme membership: This provides complimentary benefits offering an average total value of more than $750, at over 975 hand-selected 5-star properties worldwide. These benefits range from daily breakfast for two people and room upgrades, to noon check-in, guaranteed 4pm late check-out and a special amenity at each property.
- Platinum's by invitation only programme membership: As a member, you will have access to exceptional experiences that are not open to the general public.
Complimentary Insurance Cover
American Express Platinum Card holders can also enjoy additional levels of protection when travelling and making purchases on their card, with a range of complimentary insurances on offer. These include Smartphone Screen Insurance, covering up to $500 for front screen repairs, as long as the phone was paid for using the card, either outright or on a plan.
In terms of travel insurance, the card provides complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your spouse and dependent children under the age of 22, when you book using your card or Membership Rewards points.
Cover includes Rental Vehicle Excess Cover, Travel Accident Insurance, Medical Emergency Expenses Cover including Repatriation, Baggage, Money and Documents Cover, Travel Cancellation Cover, Personal Liability Cover, and Global Assist Service.
Priding itself on its customer service and support, American Express endeavours to go above and beyond for its cardholders. With the American Express Platinum Card, that means offering Platinum Travel Service and Platinum Concierge, Buyer's Advantage Cover, Purchase Protection and Online Fraud Protection Guarantee.
A big ticket rewards card packed with big ticket features, including outstanding travel benefits, complimentary insurance cover and 80,000 Membership Rewards bonus points.
- Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on your Card
- Transfer points to any of our seven other leading airline partner programmes or turn your Membership Rewards points into credit on your American Express Card
- There's no limit and no expiry date on points as long as your account remains current and in good standing
- Receive a $200 Platinum Travel Credit each year, which can be redeemed online for airfares, car hire or hotel bookings
- Platinum Privileges entitles you to a great range of benefits on international airlines, top cruise lines, accommodation, hire car companies and over 650 fine hotels and resorts
- Platinum's by invitation only programme gives you access to exceptional experiences that are not open to the general public
- Complimentary Accor Plus program membership until 30 September 2018. Membership entitles you to a complimentary night’s stay each year, with over 900 Accor properties in Australia and Asia-Pacific
- Earn points faster by getting a Supplementary Card for family members at no additional cost
- Pay no interest as is a charge card not a credit card. You need to pay it off each month.
- High standard annual fee of $1250.
- You need to pay off monthly as is a charge card, not a credit card